We all love a picture-perfect lawn. And maintaining a lush-looking yard requires time, effort and even resources in order to retain the curb appeal. In this article, we will give you tips and guidance on how to lay your turf and create a great-looking lawn that’s perfect in all seasons.
Primarily, there are basic and convenient ways you need to know in creating and maintaining a well-manicured lawn.
- Sow grass seeds. This might take a long time to see the fruits of your labour. But, it’s definitely worth the wait.
- Interval planting small seedlings. This process takes time to establish as well. And requires patience to see the results
- Turf laying. It’s the simplest and easiest solution for many homeowners. This method will create an instant lawn where it’s laid virtually right in front of you.
Laying turf does not only promise convenience. It’s even more practical in terms of time and energy. In case you decide to do the project on your own, there are certain details that you need to keep in mind on how to lay turf efficiently and successfully.
Essential Steps in Laying Turf
Most of the Australian soil is not suitable for growing grass. Some soils are compacted clay that air and water can’t penetrate to the roots. While some other soils have a fair amount of acid or alkali. But, the worst part of it is that some soil is good at growing weeds. Fortunately, with today’s innovations, we are now capable of nurturing our Australian soil.
And this is why soil preparation is an essential part of the process for a successful turf laying project. In order to keep a healthy and lush-looking lawn, these are the important keys for soil preparation:
- A pH value of 5.0 to 7.0 sandy loam is ideal for growing a lush and healthy lawn. If the soil goes below 5.0, add some lime. And if it goes over 7.0, you can improve the soil quality by adding sulphur or gypsum.
- Eliminate the existing weeds. This is the most common mistake many homeowners fail to pay attention to. Weed eradication may take up to 3 weeks but it is necessary prior to turf laying.
- Ensure your soil is free from all types of debris including rocks. Create a firm surface by lightly rolling or watering the area. And turn your soil over in a depth of 15cm or more. Apply a pre-planting fertiliser above the soil and below your turf once it’s laid.
- Typically, turf is around 25mm thick, it should sit higher than the edges or paths. In order to keep your lawn attractive with neat-looking edges; avoid rushing the levelling process make sure to level your soil properly.
Laying your turf
Usually, turf comes in rolls or slabs. Whether the turf comes in a different package, they still follow the same procedure when it comes to turf laying.
- First, water the soil lightly prior to laying the turf. Then, roll the turf one at a time in a brickwork pattern.
- Start at the outer edges of the yard and work your way all the way to the centre. Avoid overlapping, stretching and gaps. This keeps smaller pieces of turf drying out on the perimeter.
- Do not rip the turf. Use a secateurs or a sharp knife.
- If you’re laying turf on a sloped area, plant the turf across the slope. This will keep the water from running down between the rolls. And to avoid washing away the soil underneath the prepared soil.
- Once you have laid your turf, water it right away to activate the fertiliser and prevent it from drying out.
- Allow the water to penetrate into the grass mat down to the soil for a successful turf laying project.
- With lawn rollers, give your turf a good rolling to even out bumps and firm the turf down. Let the roots of the grass and soil bond by squeezing out pockets of air.
Watering your new turf
Always ensure to water your new turf for the first 4 to 6 weeks every day. This will help the roots settle in and bond with the soil firmly. Furthermore, for a successful outcome of the turf laying project, keep people and your precious pets from the turf surface for at least a month. Gradually, reduce the amount of water to allow deep rooting of your new turf.
Turf Laying Services in Sydney
NS Landscapes provides the best turf laying services in Sydney with obligation-free turf laying quotes. If you want to keep the curb appeal of your entire property, do not hesitate to give us a call at 0412 614 133.
Let us help you restore and revamp your lawn and keep it manicured from above and beyond. NS Landscapes will provide you with professional turf layers that guarantee success in all your gardening projects.