Retaining walls are excellent in retaining soils in hilly or off-kilter terrain. However, these hardscaping features perform several other important functions and there are many worth-while reasons why you should put up a retaining wall. First and foremost, retaining walls are protective structures that prevent rock or soil movement in a slopy area. There are several types of retaining walls such as the cantilever walls, the gravity walls, the anchored walls, etc.
Here are the other reasons for putting up a retaining wall.
1) Minimise Soil Erosion
This is the basic functional purpose of a retaining wall. If your house is on sloping land, or there is a mound/small hill next to it, a retaining wall will help stabilise the area. Once it rains heavily, the erosion in any slopy area can be deadly. Most areas without shrubs or trees need retaining walls since every passing storm or gust of wind can pull up the soil. Erosion is largely responsible for damaging landscaping and buildings during strong winds or storms.
2) Expanded Landscaping
It is usually difficult to attractively landscape hilly or slopping properties with ridges and didges. Thankfully, a retaining wall can expand your yard’s usable space by levelling the land and tracing the ground. On top of that, these structures provide extra space for hardscapes, patios, spas, gardens, and plants. Retaining walls are extremely useful for increasing your home’s usable space, and consequently its functionality and look.
3) Prevent Flooding
During extreme weather, flooding is a real threat whether you have drainage solutions or not. A retaining wall prevents flooding by diverting flowing water away from your house. It thus helps to avert the risk of serious property damage due to flooding. The pressure exacted by water during flooding can easily cause the destruction of structures in your home.
4) Prevent Sinkholes
During heavy rains, standing water seeping through the earth slowly dissolves the stone beneath to create sinkholes. A small hole created by seeping water can grow rapidly and cause irreparable damage. Furthermore, sinkholes are serious safety hazards. Retaining walls prevent sinkholes by ensuring the flow of water. Also, these structures hold your land firmly in place preventing the rapid growth of small sinkholes.
5) Add Visual Interest
Unlike the olden days, the retaining walls of today are anything but drab. There is an array of materials you can use to construct a retaining wall. Different materials come in different shades and finishes. Some of the most common materials for training walls brick, concrete, and stone. Retaining wall can spotlight your landscape’s features when placed properly.
Benefits of retaining walls
If you consider the reasons mentioned above, it is easy to derive the benefits of retaining walls. However, it goes deeper than that since there are different kinds of retaining walls. Apart from the obvious benefits that include aesthetics, erosion control, and flood prevention, here are other retaining wall benefits you ought to know:
- Increasing property value – If you’re looking to sell your home or building, retaining walls can help to increase the value thanks to enhanced aesthetics and functionality.
- Ease of installation – It is easier to install a retaining wall compared to other soil erosion prevention methods.
- Save money during construction – A concrete building under construction is at a higher risk of distraction due to soil erosion or flooding. It is because it takes time for the concrete to settle, making the structure firm. During construction, a retaining wall will help avert possible disasters that can lead to huge losses on site.
- A variety of applications – You can install retaining walls in very many areas including commercial buildings, recreation facilities/ parks, highway roadways/ bridges, private and residential developments, plus industrial areas. Retaining walls are also usable as fences, screen walls, and sound walls.
- Durability and low maintenance – Once you construct a retaining wall, you don’t have to incur any extra costs to keep it up as it will stand firmly by itself. Also, you don’t need to undertake any maintenance after installing a retaining wall. Most of these walls consist of natural materials that withstand extreme weather conditions.
Retaining walls utilised properly are extremely beneficial especially if the area is hilly or slopy. You can use retaining walls to increase the security and appearance of your property. Remember, it is a relatively low-cost installation that comes with so many other advantages. NS Landscapes are your qualified Sydney Landscapers that are experienced in dealing with all things landscapes. Whether it will be your gardening, retaining wall or your pavement, we provide a tailored service that simply cannot be matched.
Call us today on 0412 614 133 for a free quote for your landscaping today!